My Front Pages

"Don't look back. You never know what might turn ya into stone." Dylan

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Teaching Philosophy

Not too long ago, I posted a document on the EDU 255 blog that reflected what I considered to be my teaching philosophy. I'm going to write a new one.
I honestly never thought that several years of teaching would change my perception so dramatically--and not in a good way.

When I was in the business world, I used to tell people that "I am the most positive and enthusiastic person I know." And I was! In my early days of teaching, I think the teachers I worked with would have agreed with my proclamation. Not anymore. Even I don't say that about myself now. It is simply no longer true. Teaching has changed me. Teaching in the public school system has taken its toll on me. I'm beyond tired. I'm even beyond weary. I'm totally disheartened.



The teachers' good friend, Fred Jones, noted in his book Positive Classroom Discipline:
"Teacher burn-out...is the exhaustion, loss of caring, and erosion of job performance that affects many teachers after 6 to 10 years on the job.
The signs of burn-out are essentially those of chronic stress. In addition to the physical symptoms already mentioned, it is often the emotional symptoms that are the saddest. Typically the first sign that we become aware of is chronic tiredness, the most predictable early symptom of depression. In the end, however, we may finally lose our capacity to care about those we are supposed to care for. [Feelings] include feeling let down, exasperated, frustrated, not supported, not appreciated, not adequately compensated, and generally resentful. We can begin to feel that our career choice was a colossal mistake."
Readers, that's me! I am in my sixth year of teaching, and I no longer believe that the system we have can be fixed. We need something entirely new. As I see it, we need schools that:

  • have separate classes for smart kids, average kids, and stupid kids.
  • have severe consequences for student misbehavior
  • don't spend money on teaching kids a language they should already know when they get into kindergarten
  • find ways to encourage and reward successful teachers
  • grant special privileges to students who earn it
  • give football the low-level attention it deserves as a sport that 98% of participants never play after high school.
I write this as a teacher who is obviously disillusioned with the profession. I spent 30 successful years in the business world. I lived by the axiom: "Treat the customer the way you would want to be treated." I kept this "golden rule" at the forefront of all my transactions, and I saw abundant fruit from my labors. But, in the business world, it was easy to do that. In the teaching profession, I have no idea how to wrap my mind around that idea.

In business, people came to me because they wanted something. I could understand that. I would ask them questions in order to find out what, if anything, we had that would help them solve their problem(s). They came seeking. I was on their side and, together, we worked for a common solution.

In the public school system, I have no idea how to treat students who want to goof off every minute of everyday. I get so weary of telling the same obnoxious punk to pull up his pants so I don't have to look at his crummy underwear. I have students who don't want anything but to be left alone. I have classes with students who are so bright and gifted among students who are failing every subject and who would rather drag everyone down into the hole they're in than be lifted out. I had no idea how mean and cruel students can be to each other. And it is getting worse, seemingly, every day.

I am hoping that my view on education that I now have is an interim view--one that will transition to something that gives hope and shows the beauty of the profession. But that is going to take time, and it will never happen in the system I am now involved with. I hope things in the public school system get better. I hope we start seeing results that are proportionate to the vulgar amount of money we spend each year on a child's education. I hope that, but I doubt anything will change for the better with the system we have.

And, "meanwhile, the cross comes before the crown, and tomorrow is a Monday morning." (C.S. Lewis)

Rick Burd, EDU 255

No comments:

Post a Comment